Another hard to believe fact is that Granada had at least six newspapers. The first known newspaper was a joint publication between the two sister villages of Huntley and Granada. The writings of these two sisters were first published on December 15, 1893 by a man named Mr. Brennan. The name of this newspaper was aptly called the Twin Sisters. It lasted until about March 1895 when it “died for want of food”. There are no issues known to survive.
It has been said that the Anderson Daily Times was published around 1895 in Granada. It must be made clear that there is no proof of this newspaper ever existing.
The Granada Journal wrote upon the scene about 1897. Only three copies are known to exist and it lasted until about 1905 with F.H. Whitney as its last editor. C.R. Brown was also an editor with a Miss Allen as an editor of the Granada Journal or Twin Sisters. Mr. Whitney moved to Truman and purchased the Truman Tribune in 1906 after selling or closing the paper in Granada. The office where he published the Truman Tribune still stands at 105 West Ciro in Truman.
Edward Deebach has the honor of being the first editor of the Granada Times. This paper was first found on the streets of Granada on August 10, 1906. The Minnesota Historical Society reports that it was last published sometime in 1910. However it is known for certain to have survived until at least December 17, 1909. Walter P. Lemmer took the reigns in 1909 and had the paper published every Friday at the subscription rate of $1.25 a year in advance.
Hot off the presses on August 10, 1916 was the first issue of the Granada Sun. Stephen Smith was the editor and publisher with his wife as city editor. This office and home to the Smiths still stands at 313 North Reynolds Street right across from GHEC School in Granada. If you paid in advance for this newspaper it cost $1.50 per year. The sunset and the Granada Sun stopped shining its rays on June 6, 1918.
“Back to Bible Religion for Us” proclaimed the Prophetic News. This Granada newspaper was “Dedicated to Say Much in Few Words”. The self proclaimed “Live paper for live people” was first distributed on May 15, 1935. Dexter E. Collins and Cecil Foss were editors of this popular religious newspaper. It was published well into World War II. Since it was affiliated with the Assembly of God Church here in Granada it was not considered a traditional newspaper and thus not saved in any archive.
The Granada Gazette was the last newspaper in Granada. Strictly speaking it was more of a newsletter to keep the community informed. Dorothy Tompkins was the editor with Sue Goodwill as co-editor. It was an unofficial not for profit venture with community minded folks who volunteered to publish this paper. The volunteers listed in the third issue were Dorothy Tompkins, Sue Goodwill, Betty Thate, Connie Schuster, Arlene Tobin, Bonnie Taplin, Jackie Adams and Janet Bowman. Undoubtedly there were more volunteers as the years went by. The first issue was for the months of July/August 1989 and ran until June 1994. During the last several months of its life there were dwindling subscribers and volunteers. The volunteer staff made a call for new volunteers to run this worthwhile and challenging project. They kept the records and back issues in hopes that this would happen. Dorothy Tompkins donated her complete set of the Granada Gazette to the Granada Historical Museum where they can be viewed.
Comments, additions, or corrections are most welcome; please send to the Granada Historical Museum, PO Box 115, Granada, MN 56039.