The newest chapter in Granada’s history is the Granada Bell Tower. This tower was just erected in July 2007 and can be seen at the local museum. It commemorates two of Granada’s early churches that were once a large part of Granada and the area. A permanent plaque will be made hopefully in time for our 25th anniversary.
The top bell once served the Congregational Church of Granada - UCC and was graciously donated by them. The congregation was very pleased to see it left in Granada and to be eventually left where many of their former members are laid to rest. The congregation first organized in 1892 and built their church in 1894. The bell probably dates to the latter year. This congregation was the first church in Granada which started with many different denominations. Sadly their last service was held July 15, 2007.
The smaller bell once rang for the services of the United Methodist Church of Granada. They first met in 1895 and closed in 2000. Shortly after the Methodist’s organized they purchased the old school house. This bell could be from that school and possibly moved across the creek when they could not decide where to place the school building. By 1907 the congregation had grown and a new church was built that year. It is also possible this bell was purchased new at that time.
The Granada Bell Tower will eventually be moved out to the Center Creek Cemetery where many of both churches members are laid to rest. The memory of the Congregational Church and Methodist Church will be preserved for all generations.
The idea for this bell tower came from a similar but much larger one in Rugby, North Dakota. It is called the Niewoehner Bell Tower. It also has local bells of that area with their history.
The Granada Historical Museum wishes to thank the Congregational Church of Granada UCC, Dave & Judy Wachal, Dale Strauser and Everett Hanning.